Re: [NTLK] Newton Killer - OS X? - Longish

From: WL (vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 01:31:31 PDT

At 07:41 PM 9/22/2004, you wrote:
>Now on to the Newton. The overall look and feel is starting to look
>almost "vintage".

Nah, more like "Classic".

>don't feel somewhat restricted when going back to use their Newtons, with
>the exception of
>doing some very simple task like jotting down a note. I should add that
>I continue to use my Newton for some pretty heavy stuff. I do all my
>billing, time management and invoicing on it with TimeReporter. I track
>my payables with Bills to Pay and PocketMoney. I use Leverage to assign
>and track jobs. Suffice to say I use it a lot, but it sure is starting
>to feel clumsy in comparison to a PowerBook running Panther.

More like... safest online banking is thru dial-up on my iMac, excel and MS
Works on my Sony laptop(soon to be trumped by a TiPB), and on-site mobile
access and control thru my Newt. that doesn't lose it's brains when
drained. Function over form in my case.

>With literally a symphony of software at my command, OS X allows me to
>go like a bat out of hell in the Address Book, the Calendar, basically
>all the functions the Newton can do, only much faster.

As Einstein has said, "it's only relative", the Newt. is faster than any
desktop OS since I get one-tap response, but YPAY.

>To put it in more literal terms, for those of us that are heavy Mac
>users AND heavy Newton users, suppose you had to make a choice between
>using only a Newton and your desktop machine for the next 3 years or a
>12" Aluminum Powerbook with Panther or Tiger and your desktop machine.
>Which combo would you choose?

For the next 3 years??? Then the Newt and a DP-G5.

> Would the form factor of the Newton
>versus the PowerBook be a major issue for a lot of you? I'd like hear
>if any of you have been having similar thoughts and how many of you use
>your Newton as your main computer or main portable computer?

I've used the Newt as 'the main computer from 1996 to 2001, then I added a
sony laptop for newer websites and unzipping Newt software.
The Newt doesn't lose data, runs alot longer than any laptop and uses the
inexpensive and ubiquitous AA batts., doesn't look expensive, does a whole
lot, doesn't open all emails but is safer than any other email capable
computer, connects to the major desktop OS'es, and is easier to carry.

>Sorry this ran so long.
>--
>David Deranian

Well, I usually do my email replies from my email newt while walking the
dog, but I had to download LOTR ROTK trailer on my Sony so I took the
dial-up time to go thru the NTLK folder. But I will add more info if
necessary while I walk and then thru software-airport when I get my TiPB. :-)