Re: [NTLK] Silent Keyboard

From: Goodwin, Greg (GoodwinG_at_aafes.com)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 05:56:14 PDT

        Well, back in the TRS-80 model 100 days, we would put rubber
bands from braces under the keys to make them quiet. Might work in this
case.. hmm...

     Well, what do you know! My keyboard works and works with the
E-mate. :) To matter the fact, both the E-mates' and external
keyboard are working at the same time. Weird. I happened to have my
E-mate and a external keyboard in my desk here.

        Well as for the external Newton keyboard.. let's see...

        The Newton keys can be careful pried out of their sockets. They
are sprung back up by little rubber rings as it is. This is strange...
the keyboard is actually more complex than most I've seen:

      Normally the key is what hits some mylar underlying, or is what
makes contact with the circuit, but in this case the key is redundant.
The key is a bigger key in a slot. It would appear the there is a
button as it is under the key itself. Wild!! (which is very responsive
and quiet).

        My solution to you, carefully remove the keys from the keyboard,
and be careful that the little rubber spring don't spring away while you
are doing it. And then memorize your keyboard.

        Truly the Newton external keyboard is a work of art in its own
self. Being a serial device, it has been hacked for many other
platforms to boot. Of course if you like that, you'll love the E-mate
keyboard. :)

        Doctor Clu