Re: [NTLK] Newton Spanish text recognition.

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 23:59:26 PDT

>Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:14:12 -0500
>From: Larry Yaeger <lsynewtal_at_beanblossom.in.us>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] Newton Spanish text recognition.
>
>If you write very carefully, the Print Recognizer
>will recognize Spanish text, essentially on a
>character-by-character basis. However, the
>accuracy will not be as good as for a language
>that has a substantial word-list, such as English
>(or French or German on special models).
>
>Since it looks like Paul has figured out how to
>add new dictionaries to the system (see the link
>Roman sent), that would be the best way to go.
>You would need to find a large Spanish-language
>word list (the more the better, with a low end
>being around 20K - 25K words, the high end being
>more like 70K words or even higher).

Hmh, I wonder where Matthew Hudson, esq., got his word list for his
commendable WordSquare from and whether or not there aren't more word lists
in more languages where that came from...

>And work
>with Paul to get it converted into a dictionary
>the Newton can use and get it installed on your
>system.

Indeed, that would be excellent - if we could localize Newtons to more
languages and regions without much pain.

Actually, I've just yesterday morning created a Wiki-page to pool the
state-of-the-art knowledge on how to localize Newts, any comments to
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/LocalizeNewtonForInternationalUsers
or this thread most cordially welcome.

Cheers,

That ole 'Kasko