[NTLK] Creating own dictionaries (was: Newton Spanish text recognition)

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 13:43:42 PDT

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:58:59 -0700 (PDT), Paul Guyot wrote:
> It takes a long time to get the words in (with AddToDictionary
> NewtonScript method, usually via NTK over Ethernet) and the words out
> (with Hammer's dump memory data command).

I just tried another similar method. It differs a bit in how to get the
words into the dictionary: I call AddWord directly from C++, using the
AirusAParmBlock which is referenced from the dictionary frame of the
user dictionary.

I set up a package which contains the word list in plain text format,
add every word in a C++ function calling AddWord, and then print the
start and end address of the dictionary memory. I dump that using
Hammer. I can then still open the dictionary e.g. via the keyboard
view, and it contains all words (I tried with about 30k words), but the
Newton complains that it can't save the list. But I have the raw
compressed dictionary, which can be put into a package as a dictionary
part.

Seems to work so far, my Newton is now bilingual... the overall process
take about 15 minutes. It's not very automated yet though ;)

Eckhart