Re: [NTLK] ATA support and partitioning cards?

From: fu (fu_at_newted.com)
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 02:24:12 PDT

> Okay, yes, whether I get a 32MB linear flash card or a 200MB+ ATA PC
> Card I'd be using it for storing a significant number of applications

200MB+ ATA Card?
on your Newt?

keith, you're asking for trouble

> I'm actually thinking of using a card which is a few hundred
> megabytes, and I was imagining that I'd
> partition it into multiple 32MB chunks.

forget about it, see the average speed tests on paul's website

> My maxim in the desktop world is that 'there's no such thing as too
> much memory'. Within reason, this has always been true. But I know
> that I could take this too far if I apply this to the world of Newton!

  it's not wise to compare your desktop vs. your newt.

the beauty of it is that you get to do everything with your pda using
programs that are a few KBs in size.

a 32MB card (weather linear or ATA) is the most you'll ever need for
storing programs, emails, web-pages and backups.

i'm using both linear & paul's ATA on a 32MB CF broken down to 4x8MB
partitions, and I really never needed more than that.