Re: [NTLK] ATA support and partitioning cards?

From: Alan Toops (alantoops_at_cs.com)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 07:20:49 PDT

On 9/21/04 10:06 AM, "keith" <keith_at_vortex.co.uk> wrote:

> Okay, before I go down this road without knowing enough, is it
> feasible - and sensible - to get a large-ish ATA-format memory card
> and use Paul's ATA driver (paying for it, of course! :-) to format it
> to more manageable chunks? Is partitioning it easy to do?
>
> If I ended up with a handful of, say, 30-40MB 'volumes', would this
> avoid the hit on the Newton's internal resources that I've read about
> with multi-hundred MB ATA memory cards?
>
> Or would I be better off by not being so ambitious and getting a
> linear flash card in the 30+ MB range instead?
>
> I'll be using this in my upgraded 2000 and in my 2100.
>
> Thanks!

Keith,

I use Paul's ATA driver and a SanDisk 32 meg card in my 2100. I have 4 8 meg
partitions on the card and it works like a charm. Easy and rock solid.

I also have a 16 meg linear flash on my backup 2100. Linear cards are faster
than using ATA on my 2100 but I get a much wider range of compact flash card
choices using ATA and I don't have to worry about the linear flash card
wearing out.

Since you can upgrade Paul's driver for multiple Newton's, it is a very good
choice.

alan