[NTLK] Smoky Mountain Waterfall Sound Recordings (NotePad)

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Sep 20 2004 - 23:58:43 PDT

>From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
>Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:45:08 EDT
>Subject: [NTLK] Smoky Mountain Waterfall Sound Recordings (NotePad)
>
>We just returned last evening from a much-needed week's vacation down South
>(She needed to get away from her office before she went insane; I needed to
>forget about the depressed job market for a few days). One of the more
>fun/geeky
>things I did was to record sounds of various plunge pools and waterfalls
>along
>the New River and the Oconalufte River in the Great Smoky Mountains (recorded
>in NotePad with the MP 2100's built-in microphone). I don't know if there
>would be a practical way to share these sounds with other Newton users, but I
>would be happy to hear suggestions. NCU only allows for the transfer of TEXT
>files, but I am wondering if the sound recordings could be sent via e-mail
>to a
>public web site?

No clue, but keep up the good work, and pls. put a moron's manual of what
is possible (if anything at all) up at the Wiki, that should be valuable
for many folks who'd love to use their Newts more often for field recordings.

>I experimented a bit with the eMate today (tried running an audio signal into
>the headphone jack for the Hell of it). I plugged a small microphone into an
>old walkman-type accessory (separate graphic equalizer device), so I think
>that might have amplified the input a tiny bit. Unfortunately, no sound
>seemed
>to be recorded on playback. :O(

How about recording w/o the equalizer cut in?

I'd be happy to hear your recordings. Just had my and me luv's "new" (well,
to us) vintage singles out on a river here on Saturday, and went over the
distance of 20 km in them for the first time. Much more straining in these
pre-1960-era white water folding 'yaks w/o a rudder or skeg than alone in a
double over the same distance. Boy, were we worn out!
Well, the training will do us good - in two weeks we'll probably take 'em
for a tour of a couple days. Let's hope the weather stays nice and bearable.

>Then, I tried sending the Smoky Mountain sound recordings from my MP 2100 to
>the eMate via IrDA. That works, even though the NotePad recording extension
>does not seem to exist on the eMate machine. Kind of odd, I thought, but
>that
>showed me it is POSSIBLE to put one's pre-recorded NotePad sounds into the
>eMate.

Excellent!

> Looks like my next science experiment will involve wiring a microphone to
>a tiny telephone or guitar pre-amp (100 milliwatts should do the trick, I
>THINK) and feeding the signal into the appropriate leads on the motherboard.
>It will have to wait until I have two hands free for soldering, etc. :O)

I'm very eager to hear the outcome of this. Maybe that's something Mr.
PCBMan might also want to look into after his current project, I'm dreaming
of a audio-in and -out solution tied onto an internal Bluetooth board
(David - any chance my dreams come true one day? ;=} ).

With the best wishes for improvement on the job front* and compliments on
your experiments,

D. Vollkasko

*If not something moves courtesy of pre-XMas market acceleration, then hold
out until after the election, then things will improve.