[NTLK] Smoky Mountain Waterfall Sound Recordings (NotePad)

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 20 2004 - 18:45:08 PDT

We just returned last evening from a much-needed week's vacation down South
(She needed to get away from her office before she went insane; I needed to
forget about the depressed job market for a few days). One of the more fun/geeky
things I did was to record sounds of various plunge pools and waterfalls along
the New River and the Oconalufte River in the Great Smoky Mountains (recorded
in NotePad with the MP 2100's built-in microphone). I don't know if there
would be a practical way to share these sounds with other Newton users, but I
would be happy to hear suggestions. NCU only allows for the transfer of TEXT
files, but I am wondering if the sound recordings could be sent via e-mail to a
public web site?
I experimented a bit with the eMate today (tried running an audio signal into
the headphone jack for the Hell of it). I plugged a small microphone into an
old walkman-type accessory (separate graphic equalizer device), so I think
that might have amplified the input a tiny bit. Unfortunately, no sound seemed
to be recorded on playback. :O(
Then, I tried sending the Smoky Mountain sound recordings from my MP 2100 to
the eMate via IrDA. That works, even though the NotePad recording extension
does not seem to exist on the eMate machine. Kind of odd, I thought, but that
showed me it is POSSIBLE to put one's pre-recorded NotePad sounds into the
eMate. Looks like my next science experiment will involve wiring a microphone to
a tiny telephone or guitar pre-amp (100 milliwatts should do the trick, I
THINK) and feeding the signal into the appropriate leads on the motherboard.
It will have to wait until I have two hands free for soldering, etc. :O)

Matt K.