Re: [NTLK] new Newton 120 user with newbie questions

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 23:07:18 PDT

On Sep 16, 2004, at 11:43 PM, Boris Herman wrote:

> 1. Once, I don't know how or where, I tapped my way into some sort of
> preferences which allowed me to choose the way I write each letter
> individually. I was able to select how I write a letter 'often',
> 'rarely' and 'never'. I got to, perhaps the letter I and, as I didn't
> have much time, decided to continue some other time and now I can't
> find the settings.

I'm betting you changed your Handwriting recognition preferences to
"printed" from "Cursive". If you do that, you can't choose the letter
shapes option. Turn on cursive recognition, and you will find the prefs
you need. BTW, as far as I can tell, setting these _does_ help in
printed, so I don't know why Apple chose to hide it when you turn on
printed recognition.

> 2. Can it be somehow told that I write capitals only? It irritates me
> to see that instead of POTATO I get "poTATO"

A quick shortcut to fix this is to hilight the whole word, and then
draw a vertical straight line straight up through the middle of the
word. That should convert the whole word to caps.

> 3. Sometimes (very rarely), for no apparent reason, the newton leaves
> my entry as is without recognizing it although the 'A' is selected (and
> not inktext or something else). If I reconfirm the 'A' entry it
> continues to recognize. It may have to do something with application
> switching

It has to do with the fact that the recognition software was unable to
decipher what you wrote, so gave up! Try double-tapping the word, and
see if it recognizes it this time. Often, when this happens to me, it
gets it wrong. Sometimes, I undo back to the ink text, and double-tap
again and it gets it right. If it doesn't. I usually just scrub it out,
and re-write the word.

I'll let others answer on the other, more technical stuff. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland