Re: [NTLK] Keyboard is not recognized anymore :-(

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 09:56:52 PDT

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 01:42:41PM +0200, Henning Theune wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the following Problem with my German MP 2100 and a Newton Keyboard:
>
> Yesterday the MP does not recognize it, except for two short times where
> it works but after switched off, no recognition anymore...
>
> The MP has a SER-001 built in. I tested it also with the dongle.
>
> I think the normal procedure is to switch the MP off, plug in the
> keyboard and back on after that it should work, until yesterday this
> worked everytime.

That is the proper procedure. You shouldn't need the power cycle while
using the dongle either.

> Now what ever I do, switch it on/off, do reset, remove the battery pack,
> use the AC/DC Adaptor, I have no luck :-((.
>
> I think I have fried the keyboard controller. The seriell port of the Mp
> works, I could connect to a PC and browse it to install programs.

There's no "keyboard controller" per se. The keyboard is a serial
device, not entirely unlike a terminal or modem with no way to get
information back out from the Newt. If your serial connection works to
install packages on the Newt, then the Newt's fine.

> Is there anything else I could do or test?
> Could it be a software problem?

Hardware problem in the keyboard. I saw from another post that you
checked the cable, which tested okay. That's fine. THere's still other
parts inside the keyboard that draw power from the serial port, and the
actual serial logic chips in the keyboard that could also have failed.

> Is is harmfull to the port if I remove the keyboard while the 2100 is
> switch on? Hotpluging?

Nope. Newton will just still think the keyboard's attached and the
serial port is in use. Plugging it back into the SER-001 may be
confusing to the Newton, but not harmful. (Keyboard will resent its
setup string, and the Newton won't be expecting it, as it would with the
dongle insert or a power-on.)

--
55. The deformed mutants and odd-ball psychotics will have their place in my
    Legions of Terror. However before I send them out on important covert