Re: [NTLK] Vintage, what about space technology

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 13:47:11 PDT

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 09:07:23PM +0100, keith wrote:
> Sometime around 14/9/04 (at 9:35 pm +0200) jg said:
>
> >I know, but should it be that way? What is it for? Answer: for games.
> >And they want to make computer to a TV set or cinema. What for? No one
> >will buy a very fast comuter to see DVD on 20 inch screen? The price
> >for it would be price for 4 TV sets.
>
> The prices of large flat-screen TVs are generally equivalent to
> fairly hefty power-user computers. Scary.

Similar deal on the low end. 17" LCD TV runs about $700. You can just
about put together a 17" LCD monitor, cheapbox PC with DVD drive and
Video capture card, and a semi-decent 2.1 speaker set for $700 and
you've got a TV that will do its own DVD and PVR functions for the same
price. Add a wireless mouse and keyboard for couch-level comfort.

--
Nay, God Himself will not save men against their wills.  -Locke