[NTLK] OT Re: Vintage, what about space technology

From: Dale A. Raby (daleraby_at_tds.net)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 12:11:38 PDT

Indeed. The machine I am using for a firewall has an ISA 3D card, does
not have a hard drive, and has 16 MB of EDO RAM. The machines that
provide light in my living room burn Kerosene. The machine that I get
around in (this varies from year to year) is seldom younger than fifteen
to twenty years. The machine I use to kill squirrels for supper uses
black powder and percussion caps. We shouldn't even get into my
blacksmith shop, but you will find a coal burning forge and a gasoline
blow torch among my collection of tools.

Being obsolete or vintage does not mean useless... it means rather that
it has survived beyond its introduction, which is quite an
accomplishment in these times.