Re: [NTLK] I found a GPS PCMCIA Card! But it won't work :(

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 07:01:52 PDT

Brian wrote:
> I suggest trying with GPS Map Lite, it knows about card slots, and see
> if you can display any communications between the software and the card
> (somewhere in GPSMap Lite there's a "monitor" option that will show you
> the serial port activity...)

I tried GPSMap Lite yesterday... I didn't get anything but 0's. Of course I
was inside...

> But it doesn't seem proper that you get that error on card insertion.
> Can you try the cards in a laptop to see if they are viable? Remove
> all GPS software (especially Teletype) and still get the error? If so,
> I'd guess the cards are dead or somehow not IDing properly as a serial
> card. Teletype might have a tweek for you if you call.

This morning I tried it in a Win2k laptop. I used Teletype's INF files to set
it up - it basicially just uses the normal Windows serial port driver. Using
some free NMEA GPS software, I thought that it wasn't working - until I
realized that I was *inside*... so I carried the laptop over to the window and
after 20-30 seconds it was reporting an actual position! So the card works
just peachy.

I think I need to try outside with GPSMap Lite today and see what happens.