Re: [NTLK] Future Newton directions (very long)

From: keith (keith_at_vortex.co.uk)
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 00:38:59 PDT

Sometime around 13/9/04 (at 8:58 am +0200) Robert Benschop said:

>In my little speech on the WWNC about interfaces I
>point out not only the greatness of the interface of the Newton OS but
>also emphasize the unnatural choice of the mouse as a device.
>I think you're point of view is a technical one and in that aspect you
>might be right. In practical terms the difference is very big indeed.

If the pen is used directly on the display then there's simply no
need for an on-screen cursor. Perhaps focus rects and a text
insertion I-beam, but no need for an arrow or browse hand.

(Although this does mean the hover-status report ability when
browsing is difficult to achieve...)

>True screen intergration on a desktop would probably work, but it would
>take a real pen based OS as well designed as the Newton OS (Though
>Microsoft probably will get everyone used to a substandard OS)

Surely not! ;-)

      Keith Martin   Technical Editor, MacUser magazine
      MacUser Help   mailto:help_at_macuser.co.uk
      direct (work)  +44 (0)20 7907 6360
            mobile   0790 954 1365