Re: [NTLK] Future Newton directions (very long)

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 15:21:27 PDT

> A mouse always has a pointer on the screen, whereas the Newton relies
> on a stylus held in the hand, in a
> third dimension that does not always interact with the screen, except
> at the point of contact.
> Very different concepts.

   Not really, IMO. The mouse cursor's only real function is to let you
know where the mouse is located until you click. There was a mouse
driver (alpha, never got out) that had an onscreen sprite for the
cursor.

> I don't see the two
> coming together, personally. However, some other features of the Newton
> would be interesting on the desktop. :-)

   I'd like to see the Newton "drag to the side" clipboard. I asked
about this on one of the Mac lists, and XShelf was recommended, but
that doesn't really do it for me - I want the freeform ability to drag
it anywhere, with no "window" for holding the clipped items.

   But there are some things that I'd like on a Newton imported from the
desktop - a bigger "titlebar" for dragging windows instead of that
little innsy-beensy spot for dragging.. The resizable window concept
that Apple put forth in OS2.1 (with the double border, and corner
"handles") is good.

Jim