[NTLK] More about Newton's future

From: j g (atcnn2_at_yahoo.se)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 05:56:08 PDT

Hi Newtonians,

I understand, that after Paris meeting, some questions have been asked
about Newton's future.

I would ask two simple questions:
1. What Newton was made for ?
2. Is Newton's role different now?

Re. 1) mobile office
Apple has developed Newton in 50%. Software developers have taken over
and proceeded with good result. We have good software in most of the
fields.

Re. 2) no (with some restrictions)
As long as now, the only difference between most modern PDAs or
smart-phones is color screen. Size is a problem but size of the screen
is an advantage.

What we have to do with Newton? Developers have own problems and we,
Newton owners, have other problems. Developers want to sell the Newton
software to other platforms. We need better software, develop hardware
(as long as possible) and, in case of mobile phone area and relations
with Word/Excel, better software.

Aim for the future:
1. continue with mobile office
2. develop other areas like MP3, GPS

Thats it. I don't think that any of the "modern" PDAs can really
compete with Newton. If we have to move, in the future, to an other
hardware, it should be e.g. Zaurus-like hardware.

Of course we could be in better position if we could develop hardware.

PS> Good question. It would be interested to know if medical staff
still uses Newton. If NO, what hardware they migrated to.