Re: [NTLK] WWNC & Einstein

From: smoerk (smoerk_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 02:45:31 PDT

Hello Paul,

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 05:17:20 +0200, Paul Guyot <pguyot_at_kallisys.net> wrote:

> I'll add:
> When I wrote: I don't want to hear about open sourcing code of the
> Einstein project, I meant it. We got 20 e-mails or so on this list
> mentionning we should open source it, I wonder how many we would have
> got if I didn't write this.

This is not the Einstein developers list. If you don't want to hear
about it, don't read it. Nobody forces you to read the posts about
open source licensing. But other people want to talk about this.

> Some people here seems to know better than us what we should do and
> find stupid ideological excuses for not working on projects (geez,
> you didn't work on the DCL because it was not GPL'd?

I found this a reasonable discussion.

> I don't want any discussion about what we should do with the source
> code.

Nobody told you what you should do with your source code. Discussion
was about what influence do licenses have on the development and the
usage of software.

> Please don't mention the bus argument again. If Nicolas and I
> are killed by a bus or decide to no longer work on Einstein then cope
> with it. We could also have not worked on this in the first place. We
> do this on our free or sleep time, for the fun of it.

Agreed, but if someone buys a new PDA only for running
Einstein/NewtonOS she should be aware that there is a possibility that
the Einstein emulator will expire and there will be no new version in
the future (and she can reinstall Windows CE - shock horror!).

As I wrote before: Getting NewtonOS running on another hardware is a
great archivement, whether it's open source, freeware or payware.

> While I'm ranting, I'll add: I'd prefer to not read about legal
> problems except from people capable of commenting on this (i.e.
> except from Lawyers). It's not that there is no legal problem doing
> this or that (for example I think that rewriting a NewtonOS-clone
> from scratch is problematic legal-wise), it's just that we have
> better things to do than argument about legal problems when we just
> don't know anything about it (I'm the first one to admit I'm an
> ignorant).

But please let me ask one question: Did I understand it correctly that
Einstein will run the NewtonOS from the Messagepad's ROM and As we
cannot distribute the ROM image, you have to own a Messagepad to get
access to the ROM (and the right to use it)?

--
Oliver T.