Re: [NTLK] WWNC & Einstein

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 20:17:20 PDT

Aux environs du 11/09/04 à 0:34 +0200, sous le titre "Re: [NTLK] WWNC
& Einstein", Nicolas Zinovieff prit sa plus belle plume pour écrire
les mots suivants:
>OK folks, let's cut it short.

I'll add:
When I wrote: I don't want to hear about open sourcing code of the
Einstein project, I meant it. We got 20 e-mails or so on this list
mentionning we should open source it, I wonder how many we would have
got if I didn't write this.

Some people here seems to know better than us what we should do and
find stupid ideological excuses for not working on projects (geez,
you didn't work on the DCL because it was not GPL'd? because it had
spaces in the directory names? because it was commented in French?
Most open source software aren't commented at all, and the DCL does
compile on FreeBSD & Linux and we explain how to do so in plain
English).

I don't want any discussion about what we should do with the source
code. Please don't mention the bus argument again. If Nicolas and I
are killed by a bus or decide to no longer work on Einstein then cope
with it. We could also have not worked on this in the first place. We
do this on our free or sleep time, for the fun of it.

While I'm ranting, I'll add: I'd prefer to not read about legal
problems except from people capable of commenting on this (i.e.
except from Lawyers). It's not that there is no legal problem doing
this or that (for example I think that rewriting a NewtonOS-clone
from scratch is problematic legal-wise), it's just that we have
better things to do than argument about legal problems when we just
don't know anything about it (I'm the first one to admit I'm an
ignorant).

So what's set is:
- that we won't release the source code.
- that we won't release the binary to the public now. We both don't
want to do technical support.

What is left is:
- what should we do now considering what we don't want to do?

Basically a subset of the question might be:
- should we work on JIT emulation and run on any PDA with any processor?
or
- should we work on porting Einstein for natice code execution on
ARM-based PDAs?
or
- should we work on porting Einstein for native code execution on top
of an open source POSIX-compliant operating system (like NetBSD or
Linux)?

Paul

--
Ceci est une signature banale.