Re: [NTLK] Apple Interconnect adapter?

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 05:28:36 PDT

I am very enthusiastic regarding hardware projects and especially Newton
hardware,
BUT there are definitely a few "killer"-points:
1) as you already mentioned, this type of connector is not available anymore
2) the NIC port is known to be a weak point of the Newt (mechanically)
        therefore I would never go for a solution as shown on the photographs -
        this is by far too wobbely and will definitely cause the NIC port to break
in no time
3) what you propose can be done in principle (I have never opened a dongle
though),
        but still point 2) will remain
The only design solution I can imagine is a docking station with very
accurate guide rails in order to protect the connector - but still the
counter part in the Newt is not ridgid enough to withstand a huge number of
mating/demating cycles.
BUT point 1) is still the problem, while maybe the solution is acceptable
with respect to point 2).

Cheers
Johannes