Re: [NTLK] Format of Exported Notes

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 05:40:24 PDT

>Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 21:22:26 -0700
>From: Rhonda Hyslop <0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net>
>
>* Oliver Brose <oliver.brose_at_t-online.de> [ 2 Sep 2004 15:52]:
>> >From: Rhonda Hyslop <0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net>
>>
>> >Exporting as RTF works very well. I took all my class notes for a couple
>> >of years on the newton, and they were about as complicated and hard to
>> >export as you can get (IMO) - ink text inline
> >
>> Rhonda, what do you use to read those RTF-files?
> > My experiments with RTFs created through NCU had mixed and rather
> > underwhelming results.
>
>I opened them up in ClarisWorks/AppleWorks, as I recall. I don't own
>MSWord and haven't since Word95 for Windows - didn't try it with that
>program, but as I sent a set of notes to a friend I'd imagine they
>opened fine in Word too. Claris on 7.5 and AppleWorks on 9 or whatever
>my husband's laptop ran at the time both worked fine. OpenOffice works
>fine too, I just checked :-)
>
>I can't say I've had a word processor that could handle RTF image
>objects do it wrong...

Just did another test with AppleWorks 6.2.9, and it is far from perfect. The main problem appears to be that some written blocks with will be handled as a single object. So if I have a page of handwritten text it will be one object instead of *number of words*-objects. Sometimes shapes appear at the wrong place, overlapping text, or inked words overlap each other. Same problem, just one object, I cannot sort out the overlap/misplacement. Amazingly, at most places in this 800k document, each word, dash and hive will get its own object, and some shapes are broken down into smaller chunks. I will have to experiment with a fresh file on what gets the better results, as I cannot remember what was written in ink or shapes for the most of this. Basically ink seems to be handled best, if not near or mixed with shapes, which seemingly means begging for trouble.

I am currently installing OpenOffice (makes me wish for a fatter line here) to see how it will do. (ARGH, the X11 installation eats all the space left on my startup partition)
TextEdit ignores ink&shapes.
Mellel ignores ink&shapes.
Ragtime takes forever to open the file and totally screws up everything, losing the major part of the file and totally misplaces graphics. If I tell it not to do any fancy magic on the file before opening regarding paragraphs etc., it will give the same results as AppleWorks, but again it looses a major part of the file and has enormous performance problems.
Word X Mac (had sbd. else check it) was quick to open & navigate the file, but basically produced the same results as AppleWorks, mixed format = trouble. It also smoothed the graphics, and while this at times looked quite neat it rendered ink hard to read in many places.

Fun, fun, fun,

Oliver :)

--
"The possibilities are endless. I love that."  - Jonathan Ive