Re: [NTLK] Software for Newton

From: Dan Mills (vthunder_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 09:36:28 PDT

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 11:19:35 -0400, Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com> wrote:

> This is not to say contacting old developers is fruitless, because some
> of them have been contacted and they *did* release the software. Action
> Names, Time Reporter, Paper Pak, and all of Imbaic's stuff was released.
> Adam Tow released a lot of his work and continues to support the
> community. Landware was going to pull all of their stuff from the
> market but decided to keep it available. Tibet was also released by the
> original developer. There are many other instances where software was
> released after finally tracking down the developer.

Llamagraphics' Life Balance, as well, which currently sells for about
$65 on win/mac/palm. Someone posted a link to it here not long ago,
and I've been using it. I like it a lot.

> Perhaps someone trustworthy that has
> been here a long time (and has some time on their hands) could be
> appointed to try and track down these old developers?

It would not hurt, of course, but it would be nice to have the source
for these apps, which developers are generally not willing to give
out, even in donationware cases (though sometimes, they are).

I think it's worthwhile to spend the time (as a community) to write
apps anew if it means we end up with source code we can improve/fix
down the road.

e.g., Life Balance for win/mac/palm has a couple of features that I'd
like to see on the Newton version, but Llamagraphics doesn't want to
maintain it (understandably so), and I can't hack on it either, even
if I knew Newtonscript.

(which I don't know, of course, so I shouldn't even be talking. I'm
trying to learn, though).

Of course, getting donationware is not mutually exclusive with
developing replacement apps.

-Dan