Re: [NTLK] Essential Newton Apps?

From: John Charlton (johncharlton_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 08:31:28 PDT

On 5-Sep-04, at 8:12 AM, Paul Robinson wrote:

> As a newbie to Newton what are the essential apps I should install or
> try-out?

I wrote a list out and mean to write better descriptions with a few
screen pics and URLs at some point, but it's still on the 'To Do' list.
These are system enhancements, for the most part, rather than
applications. Most are free. Here's what I've got so far:

System Enhancements:
Avi's backdrop - you've heard about this no doubt. Useful little
buttons all over, and a handy pull-up note area.
Dashboard - this one isn't free (shareware, so you can try it out), but
once you try it it's hard to live without. An extra row of handy
buttons, including a 'Start'-like one with a hierarchical menu you can
customize. My favourite feature though is the gesture launch box -
write a character there will launch a package. Only drawback is I'm
wearing the screen there a little. Very configurable (except for the
position of the launch box!)
Hilite 2k - Pops up a box when you highlight text so you can easily
change style, surround with parenthesis or quotes, capitalize, strip
spaces, change the size, etc. Very handy, but does get in the way
sometimes. $5 honourware I seem to remember.
BB Editor - from the same author as Hilite 2k (Way Wong, Byte-size
software, http://home.earthlink.net/~firstvln/bytesize.html) This is a
tiny button that pops out a useful editing keyboard.
Card Eject - Not sure how you get a card full of packages out without
this utility. It deactivates (freezes) everything on the card so it's
safe to eject.
Options - from Softwareburo Muller. Adds extra clipboards and freezing
among other things.
Caret Pro - adds useful characters and phrases to a tap on the caret.

Notes Enhancements:
HyperNewt - From Adam Tow (definately check out his site
http://www.tow.com/software/newton.shtml) this helps organize notes by
adding hierarchical folders and a few other enhancements.
Styles Button - this adds a button to the toolbar in Notes to pop up
the styles palette.
Time-Stamp - Set the time of a note to 'now' so it comes at the end of
the roll.
To-Do Rollover - Adds a button to checklists with options like "Checked
to Bottom", "Delete Checked" and "Roll Over!", which creates a new
checklist with the un-done items leaving the done ones where they were.
Blank Note, Graph Paper - I do a lot of sketching on the Newt (nothing
artistic, sadly) and find these handy to have around. You may find
other stationery that fits how you work.

Not Essential, but good to have:
Drag 'n Drop Names - Lets you write out a name and address on the
notepad, drag it to the side of the screen, drop it on the Names
application and presto you have a new name card.
Sunrise - Plays a short sound when you start and stop your Newton. Mine
goes 'ping' when it starts. No one's got that yet but it makes me
chuckle.
MacInTalk / Speak Text - This is too cool. Great for demos.