Re: [NTLK] Regarding ModPlayer

From: Hemant Kamat (hemantkamat_at_eth.net)
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 06:40:30 PDT

Midi just stores the instrument info note after note, it's upto the synth to
playback the associated sound. That's why MIDIs are generally small, the
downside being that a synth is reqd and no two synths sound alike (for
example, try listening to a MIDI using the QuickTime Player, and then by
channeling the output to an actual synthesizer)

Hey Jim, caught a bit of flu over the weekend, so I couldn't reply earlier.
I use a PC at work, so I'll install Win NTK and open the files there
(thanks, BTW). But I'm afraid the coding's beyond me, someone will have to
assist me with that...

Also, has anybody noticed this, if you downsample a Mod to 22kHz before
pkg'ing it, it tends to sound better/smoother and results in a smaller file.
Speaking of playback, it is worth replacing the Newton's internal speaker
with a new one? There are better quality speakers available today within the
same size. Would it improve the sound quality? Would I void my warranty? ;)
Surprising nobody's ever talked about this.

On a lighter note, I ran into a bloke showing off his 10GB iPod at an IT
exhibition on Saturday. As chance would have it, I ended up getting into an
argument with him over the iPod. He wouldn't believe that Newton could do
everything the iPod can, and much more. Should've seen the look on his face
when I demo'ed the MP2K (it got worse when he saw the 'Apple' logo). 3
guesses as to who stole the show :) A lot of ppl actually came up and asked
where they could get one of these babies; sure felt bad telling them the
truth :(