Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iMac G5

From: Rick Ludwig (bensisko_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 23:56:45 PDT

Just a yes/no and opinion on the New iMac.

Wireless:
It was commented before that Apple pictured the iMac as a "wireless"
computer (with only the power). Believe it or not, this is actually
possible. Keyboard and mouse are bluetooth (given). As for the printer,
you have two options: 1) Bluetooth, or 2) Airport Extreme. With a
little changing configuration, even a digital camera card reader could
be hooked into the Airport Extreme as a network disk. Speakers? Airport
Extreme does that too (Assuming you have speakers to plug into AE). The
limit here, really, is anything over Firewire. You could, mind you,
have a second Mac set up to handle all firewire (i.e. connected to the
external drive and importing of video) which isn't as costly as it
sounds. Many old G3 computers can do it (that computer then becomes a
Network drive to the iMac).
So it is completely possible.

Design:
UGLY. The imac G4 (though sales were poor) had some class. This is just
a poor imitation of Apple's cinema displays (which i don't like ether).
It doesn't seem like Apple is pushing the paradigm (which the iMac is
supposed to be, a whole shift in the computing experiance for the
average person).

Two Button Mouse:
This is the exact opposite direction of the simplicty theme. Why
clutter a mouse with more than you really need? I consider my self a
"power" user, and I almost never feel the need to use a "right-click".
I hope Steve and his successors never cave into a two-button mouse. All
Apple's products, though revolutionary are simple designs right down to
the single mouse click.

-Rick