[NTLK] [OT] Abandonware Liberation?

From: Alex Santos 100MB Neostrada Mail (izabella.misiewiczsantos_at_neostrada.pl)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 02:06:16 PDT

The Copyright Office holds a rulemaking proceeding (
http://www.copyright.gov/1201/ ) every 3 years to:

"determine whether there are particular classes of works as to which
users are, or are likely to be, adversely affected in their ability to
make noninfringing uses due to the prohibition on circumvention of
access controls." Access controls such as dongles or media distribution
methods.

That being said and quoted actually from archive.org

It maybe that a lot of software will at least be archived at the
internet archive, read more from the link provided below. Whether it
will be publicly made available is another issue.

http://www.archive.org/about/dmca.php

I strongly recommend NewtonTalk users take a look at the linked PDFs in
the initial comment and reply comment. Here is a quote from the reply
comment PDF (filename 015.pdf):

"I have recently started volunteering at The Internet Archive to help
the Archive preserve software representing breakthroughs in the art and
science of programming. Many of these breakthroughs are in the process
of becoming lost to history as the media on which they are stored
degrade and the platforms for which they were written disappear.2 For
that reason, the Internet Archive has begun to collect breakthrough
programs by means of donation and purchase, transfer them to modern
media, access them to ensure proper transfer and make them available to
others within the confines of copyright law as historic artifacts."

I think these are exciting developments and encourage everyone here to
take a look and post your remarks.

This is a new thread but is a followup in some way to a comment Jim
Write wrote on Sep 1, 2004, at 9:32 PM

"Good point. Abandonware argument."