Re: [NTLK] Fwd: New user - memory issues on an MP2000.

From: Josef Chessor (josefcub_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 14:51:44 PDT

Steve,

I probably should have said that I "rolled" my own telnet client. I
can't afford PT100, and I needed access to a game system that I ran.
So I took the network tool "Tool Time" from the DTS examples, and
pretty much stripped 90% of the transport tool code out, while
rewriting the UI plugins to work better with NIE. I really oughtn't
claim that I wrote what I merely adapted and re-worked... But hey, it
works, right? ;)

Note for future seekers of freeware telnet clients for Newton: Tool
Time will give you basic, raw, telnet in a TTY sort of way, and it's
I/O will support modem and serial ports, along with Appletalk and
other transports. But you have to do the DNS lookups yourself. (And
it's huge and slow, compared to PT100, with less features as far as
telnet goes.) If I can get off my butt and finish what I'm rolling, I
might end up releasing it and its source so that someone more driven
and capable can make my "MUDTime" a really nice MUD client instead of
a cheap hack on existing samples. ;)

Discontinued SSH client? I didn't even know there was such a beast.
I thought that SSH for the Newton was simply in the discussion/wish
stage, and nothing concrete had existed yet?

Josef