Re: [NTLK] Internet sharing

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 12:42:18 PDT

On Sep 1, 2004, at 12:24 PM, Edmund Blackadder wrote:

> Hi, list
>
> I am connecting my 2000U with my mac using escale and a network card
> (via TCP/IP).
> Now my question is: Can I share my (dial-up, 56K modem) internet
> connection with my newton?
> I want to do it mostly for experimenting and testing the various
> internet related packages without paying for GPRS (my pcmcia modem is
> not good for this job, as it drains the batteries veeery fast).

The Wifi card will drain it just about as fast in my experience, but
you can do this. If you are running 10.3 on the mac go to system
preferences/sharing and then the tab marked internet. Then select the
interface you want to share the internet over (ie airport) and check
the little box. You should even be able to set eh modem preference to
go online when needed and then the mac should go online when your
Newton connects to it. NOTE: I have never shared a dialup this way,
but I don't se why it wouldn't work, other then being slow (like a
dialup).
> Thanks list!
>
> And my best wishes for those attending the WWNC :-)
I'm so jealous.

Marty