Re: [NTLK] observation and question

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_telebyte.nl)
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 14:01:21 PST

On 31-okt-04, at 22:13, Henry W.Gratwick wrote:
> too late!! where do all these memory problems arise from in the 2000?

Now that you have bought it I won't bother with the drawbacks but with
the solutions instead, of course ;-)

The 2000 and the 2100 (or an upgraded 2000) are the same machines apart
from the Heap (comparable to desktop RAM).
Especially for internet use you might run out of Heap on a 2000 but you
can do the following:

- if you don't need an Ethernet connection to a desktop use Newton
Internet Enabler 1.1 instead of 2.0 it's takes up less space and needs
less Heap.

- get Freeze Utilities, it's free and will help you a lot.
Download: http://www.standalone.com/newtonos/index.shtml

Or even better but not free, get NewtCase, there's a very good package
manager in there that will let you freeze and thaw sets of packages, on
top of that there's some great Newt enhancements.
Standalone had FreezeMan that does the same but is known to be buggy
and dangerously so.
Most of their other stuff is absolutely fine, Freeze Utilities included
of course, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it ;-)

- Run a backdrop app that doesn't use a lot of heap, there are quite a
few out them, Avi's Backdrop is great and free:
Original Avi page: http://www.drissman.com/avi/newton/
Latest version: http://www.kallisys.com/newton/avibd/

And most important of course, enjoy your Newt!

Robert Benschop