[NTLK] Travelling to US - baggage advice?

From: Jim Grich (webmaster_at_weblync.com)
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 08:14:58 PDT

Russ,

Last month I took a trip that took me from the US to Italy (via
Germany) and back to the US again. I had my Newton with peripherals in
a Calise case in my backpack. I was not asked to open it or turn it on
in any of the countries I went to. I did put it through the x-ray
machines in the backpack though.

I had the same question I posted to this list before I left as well as
you. The only real concern I had was with the stylus, since it is a
semi-sharp instrument. As was pointed out to me, most customs agents do
not know what a Newton is and therefore would not think to look for the
stylus. It is also "hidden" so it was not an issue. I determined if I
was asked to turn the Newton on, I would use my fingers to activate the
screen and leave the stylus hidden. As I mentioned above, I did not
have any problems.

I think you should note that one of the responses I received after
posing that question stated that they has been asked to take their
Newton out and turn it on. More of a curiosity then anything else! I
also had several pieces of electronics with me (digital still camera,
complete digital video camera kit for a shoot I was going, etc.) and no
problems.

Good luck on your trip and enjoy the States...

Jim Grich