Re: [NTLK] ATA Support Error

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 06:41:19 PDT

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:08:47 +0200, Paul Guyot <pguyot_at_kallisys.net> wrote:
> =C0 (At) 8:58 -0400 26/10/04, Sonny Hung =E9crivait (wrote) :

> I can see what's wrong now.
> SD cards are protected and sometimes (always?) include some
> particularities that don't make them ATA compatible. The SD
> specifications are closed and private.

Hmm, I didn't buy a Secure SD/MMC. I thought these were standard
generic SanDisk SD... I'll have to look into it... if it doesn't work
then that's fine
I'm thinking though that I was sent a Type I not a Type II PCMCIA
adapter to CF which is causing the problem...

> In particular, SD cards insist for being in FAT format and refuse
> some operations that would use them differently.

Well, if that's the case I hope in your time allocated you get time to
complete a FAT compatible format that would alleviate this issue...

> Nicolas once mentioned to me that on the Zaurus, which has a SD card
> reader, reformatting the SD card to ext2 yielded for some users to
> lose all data on it, finding the card reformatted in FAT instead.

That's unfortunate that this was the test results when it was tried by
Nicolas and others. I'm hoping since it works (CF adapter to SD) in my
Nikon Coolpix 950 that this maybe resolved in the future - it's so
nice to be able to take a picture with the CF adapter with a 256MB SD
card installed and then place it in my other camera and be able to
view it in that camera/download it from there.

> I discourage the use of SD cards.

Oh well, then it's a risk I'll have to take and test for. This setup
makes any storage media type I have universally compatible with the
Newton (using adapters) so they are not wasted - that's why I'm giving
this a test.

I am appreciative as always for the ATA Support development, tech
support and generosity in contribution to this Newton Community Paul.
:-)

I await the functionality which will give me the go ahead to purchase
a license at the full price for multi-Newtons which I eagerly await.

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung