Re: [NTLK] Unstable 2100 - Please Help

From: James Wages (james_at_kiramek.com)
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 21:39:13 PDT

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the response. Since I am traveling now, I don't have the
means to put Trashpak on my Newton, but SBM Utilities gives me a complete
listing of what is in my internal and card memory. The list below is
everything I use.

Please note though that I ran ATA Support tests prior to moving packages
to my 32MB card (which worked 100% fine in my PowerShot camera, by the
way) and I just did another batch of read tests after reading your email
this evening (Sequential, Butterfly, & Random) -- no problems were
reported.

ATA Support "Card Info":

Size: 62720 sectors (31MB)
Kind: CF or compatible
DMA: No
Queue: No
LBA: Yes
Model: SanDisk SDCFB-32
Serial: 109314C0606Axxxx
Version: Vdg 1.25
Mode: I/O Contiguous
Width: 16 bits
Power: On (3.3V)

ATA Support Prefs:

Caches: 30/30
Sleep: after 5 minutes
Misc: all three checked
Auto: neither checked

Installed Software (Internal Memory):

Package Name Version
---------------------- -------
802.11b WaveLAN
Assist
ATA Support 1.0RC6.1
Avi's Backdrop 1.31
Battery Counter
BB Editor
Bigger Notes
Calculator
Calls
Card
Clock
Corrector+
DashBoard 1.51
Dash Board Prefs
Dates
Dock
EspyEnabler
Extras
Find
Font Pack:SAS
Formulas
Freeze Utilities
GDTPrintDriver
GLEngine
Hilite2000
InOut
Lantern Patch
Names
MC ExtMgr
NewStats:ICS
NewtInfo
Newton Devices
NewtonID
Nick's MarkIt
Notes
NoteSlider
Owner:Info
PictView:ICS
Prefs
ProofRead
Reset
Serial 57600
Setup
Styles
TextView:ICS
Time Zones
To Do
Undo
WideCardFile
Writing Practice
X-Port
XPCustom
XP_RTF:ICS
XP_RTF_WORKS:ICS
zBB Editor button

Installed Software (32MB Card):

Package Name Version
---------------------- -------
3C589
Address Access
Akagi:MZHSW
Alarm Clock
aMAZEing
Area Code Change
At a Glance
AtaGlanceButton:SilverWARE
ATLAN
AvailWorks
Birds with Lances
BuiltIn 3.5:Notion
Business3.5:Notion
Clarity 1.2
CLex
CLexTB:JChen
clip!
ClipArt
ClipArt-S
Cols
Connect:Notion
Control Panel
Converge:Notion
Convert!
Courier
Crossword
Dates
Deep Green
DELLCW_DVER_PAK1
Eclipse GX
Elisa:MZHSW
Expense Plus
Farallon Enet
Flight Recorder
Flight 3D
Frogs vs. Cars
Hack App
Heap
HTMList:TKnollSys
HW Instructor
HWRWorks By SAI
iCalc
Internet Setup
ISP Templates
JP Dict
Kaname:MZHSW
Kanji14:MZHSW
kjv1.dat
kjv2.dat
kjv3.dat
kjv4.dat
kjv5.dat
kjv6.dat
kjv7.dat
kjv8.dat
kungfu
Lander Sounds
Leisure 3.5:Notion
ListDesigner:Notion
ListManager:Notion
Logo Lite
Lunar Lander
MacInTalk
Mahjongg
Maru14:MZHSW
MI Prefs
Mines
MoreInfo
NBattleship
Newton Glossary
Newton Internet Enabler
Newton Tour
NewtPaint Demo
NewtsCape
NewtSync
NIE Ethernet Module
NIE LocalTalk Module
NIE Modem & Serial Module
NIE Patch
notionHelp:donv
Notion(R)
PegBoard
Periodic Table
Personal 3.5:Notion
Phoney
PromptPad
Quiet
QuietButton:SilverWARE
Reference3.5:Notion
Rocks in Space
rsv1.daf
rsv2.daf
rsv3.daf
rsv4.daf
rsv5.daf
rsv6.daf
rsv7.daf
rsv8.daf
SA Reg
SAI Prefs Cleaner
SBM Utilities
Sloup 2.1
Soup Mover
SoupKitchen
SpeakText:NEWTON
SpellWorks
Style
SunTzu
Talking Alarms
TCP/IP Dock Transport
Tekton:Way
TemplateBrowser:Notion
The Message
Tiger
Time&Temp
Users Guide
Works
Works Better
XNewt Book
z3ComDrv:clli

NOTE: About 1/3 of these packages are frozen, mostly on the 32MB CF card.

Also, my Newt is a MP2000 that was upgraded to a 2100 (not that it should
matter).

I also found another problem as well, although I doubt it is related. I
found my batteries would die a lot soon than they should. One night I saw
that my Newton had powered itself on about 1AM and stayed on till morning.
 I have no alarms or other programs installed (that I know of) that should
do this. So my cure was to just ensure that the Newton Sleeps after 1
minute. That way, when it mysteriously awakens at night, it will sleep
after 1 minute and not waste any more battery power. I wish I knew how to
fix this, but the root of the problem escapes me. And again, I doubt this
issue is related to the system restart problem, but I wanted to mention it
nonetheless.

Regards,

James Wages