[NTLK] PDF/CHM reader, Bluetooth and other questions

From: Alexey Agapov (aas_at_yandex.ru)
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 09:03:18 PDT

Hi all,
I'm using Newton for about a year -- primarily to read paperback books.
But now I want more -- and I'd appreciate any advise from the community
regarding the following:

1) I want to learn (or teach Newton) to read books in Microsoft's CHM
and PDF formats. I'm yet to try PDFConv but it is claimed to convert
PDF to a series of images and, hence, doesn't support bookmarks,
hyperlinks and search. Different PDF to text converters are far from
perfect also. I'm thinking of writing a PDF -> NewtonBook converter
which ideally would preserve as much formatting as possible. I think it
can be developed based on ghostscript interpreter. The same thing can
be done for CHM. I wonder, why did nobody suggest that before? What do
you think, is that possible? Or maybe nobody needs this besides me?

2) I want to connect Newton to my phone via Bluetooth to sync
address/phone book and to connect to internet via GPRS. I've read that
there are necessary drivers and software available, but my concern is
power consumption of Bluetooth cards. Are there cards known to work
with Newton and taking minimum power from Newton batteries? Another way
may be soldering in a Bluetooth chip as Eckhart Köppen did -- is there
any description available?

3) Where can I buy a stilus for my 2000? Is jksalesinc.com an only
online store selling Newton accessories?

All your advises are highly appreciated. Thank you.

--Alex