Re: [NTLK] Modem-to-modem Connection Help!

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 04:39:19 PDT

> Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 00:40:46 -0500
> From: nelson <bnelson6_at_valuelinx.net>
>
> Hey guys it is a bit of fun to get it to work, but it does. I am
> usually on
> line from 24:00 to 0200 and during the morning hours if you need help
> with ,
> be glad to help. The biggest problem with this set up is timing.I have
> some
> modem software that allows me to manually answer an incoming call.
> Thiss makes
> it much easyier. But it can be done. You just have to use a modem
> string .
> The computer just has to wait untill the newton has placed the call ,
> wait a
> few seconds after that then answer. If you need the modem string i
> will dig
> them up.
> Bryan Nelson have yahoo messanger and aim, if you want to talk first
> hand.

If you google for 'Hayes Modem command set', you'll find some useful
things. Back in the days of BBS's, most of us knew almost all of these
by heart, to tweek the best out of our modems. (Anyone remember BBS's?
:)

AT attention (preface all your commands with this)
ATA answer incoming call

should get you going. You can also set the connection speed, other
things, too, but most of it should auto-negotiate just fine- I"m not
sure how fast the Newton could keep up with anyway.

HTH.

Brian

--
... we parted each feeling