[NTLK] More Newton media coverage

From: Albert Muniz (amuniz_at_depaul.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 12:33:15 PDT

Greetings fellow Newton fans, Al Muniz, your friendly academic
researcher here. Just thought I'd let you know that the compelling
Newton saga has attracted media attention yet again, this time from the
New York Times Magazine.

Rob Walker writes a column for the NYT Magazine called, appropriately
enough, "Consumed." He called a couple of weeks ago and said he had been
interested in abandoned products in general, and the Newton community in
particular, since reading Leander Kahney's articles on Wired News. He
asked some really good questions and seemed to be sincerely interested.
I pointed him to the list and suggested some other members he might
speak to (did he contact anyone else?). The fact checker from the
magazine called yesterday and, based on what I heard during that
conversation, it sounds like it will be a good story.

Here is the truly odd part. The day after the interview, one of the art
directors for the magazine called and asked if I could FedEx them one of
my Newtons so that they could photograph it for the story. Apparently,
they could not find a good image of a Newton online. So, my trusty 2100
got a first-class trip to New York to be photographed for a magazine
spread. I suspect that this vicarious version will be the closest I ever
get to having ~that~ experience myself.

OK, so the details on the story (and these are all subject to
last-minute change): the story will run in the Sunday, October 31st
edition of the New York Times Magazine (it is in the Sunday paper). The
story should be online sometime on Thursday, the 28th (at
www.nytimes.com) and it will be about 1,000 words.

Here is to the continued celebrity status of the Newton,

Al

Albert Muniz
DePaul University
fac.comtech.depaul.edu/amuniz