Re: [NTLK] Stinkin' eMate

From: Dan Fackler (eulenspgl_at_sbcglobal.net)
Date: Mon Oct 18 2004 - 17:54:27 PDT

<<Last night I recharged my daughter's eMate with my Newton Recharger.
This morning the eMate is dead, smells burnt by the recharger area.
Will not restart even with the charger plugged into it. The charger
does not smell. I tried the charger on my Newton and it indicated that
it was recharging OK.

So, new batteries? Is there a problem with the motherboard (I haven't
taken it apart that far yet).

Thanks for any help in advance. >>

That component at Z1(near the power receptacle on eMate board) on the eMate
board is indeed a Zener-- I've heard 'transorb"(TRANSient absORBer, get
it?), too, but I got a couple of glass dipole units from Mouser Electronics.

That wasn't sufficient to fix the eMate, but after replacing the(open) fuse
at F1(near the interconnect ports), my eMate sprang to life and now lives
the college life as my son's trusty note-taker. I can't find a spec for this
fuse, so used a 1-amp, figuring that the Apple adapter is 1.2 amps and I'd
be protected. So far, so good!

My understanding is that the component at Z1 is designed to fail if too much
current, or reversed polarity is applied to the power receptacle.

If you're adventurous, you can do this yourself. Get a good magnifier and a
small, low-powered solder iron!

Good luck.

Dan