Re: [NTLK] ssh, ssl, and other secure software?

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Oct 16 2004 - 09:40:24 PDT

On Oct 16, 2004, at 9:25 AM, Roman Pixell wrote:

> On Oct 16, 2004, at 3:42 PM, Leonard Sitongia wrote:
>
>> Is there an ssh client for the Newton? Is SSL possible in mail and =
> web
>> browsing?
>
> no.
>
> this is indeed a major backdraw at these times. it would require=20
> someone to work for about ten days to write such a beast and from
> what=20=

I had thought the problem was that NIE 2 didn't support anything like
ssl, and that it would need to be added at the level of NIE 2 -
certainly possible, but very difficult, as one would need to reverse
engineer pretty muh all of NIE....

as for ssh - ssh requires a lot of client side processing power to
encrypt /' decrypt the transmission. Something that the newton, even
the mp2100 wouldn't handle very well.

Both might be "doable" but I doubt very much the time frame of 10 days
for one programmer to have them both up and running with any
significant speed.

J Tyler Nichols