Re: [NTLK] [OT] NYT carrier OQO review by David Pogue

From: Sushi (sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 07:31:04 PDT

To me, as I stated on this board a while back (over a year ago I
believe) this is the future of personal computing.

Apple did it first with the Duo some years ago. The key is to be able
to take your key/critical info with you. You no longer need to sync
with anything. Just back up your data. You can be sitting at your
desk using a normal monitor, keyboard and mouse, and the boss says
let's go. All you need to do is take your OQO device with you.

Granted the first iteration of the OQO is limited, wait until they have
a 60GB or bigger version, 1GB of RAM with a much faster processor.

Gone are the days where you are using a limited PDA where you do not
have the full feature set of Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and
other desktop apps. In fact, this is where a Pocket PC aggravates me.
It has Excel, Word and PowerPoint, but they are Pocket versions which
are very limited compared to the desktop versions. The OQO type device
frees the user from this time consuming issue of data sync'ing /
compatibility.

However, the OQO is not a panacea. Until it has the Newton's ease of
handwriting recognition, and very intuitive interface, the Newton will
still hold it's own.

However, can you imagine an OQO device, with a Newton interface, but
yet can run any Winders or Mac OS X app? Now that would be cool! :-)

Anyhow, an exciting day for portable computing.

Sushi