Re: [NTLK] New Newton possibility (not a whine or hoax)

From: James Wages (james_at_kiramek.com)
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 17:40:27 PDT

On 12-okt-04, at 12:17, Jonas wrote:
> How many readers of this mailing list would be seriously interested in
> exchanging their current newton 2x00 for an upgraded machine?

Jonas, first off, you need not ask people on this list if they would be
willing to upgrade to what you say you might offer. Without a doubt
virtually everyone on this list would do so if the cost was within reason --
an important variable in this equation which you did not mention.

Secondly, there are so many who have come and gone on this list and other
lists, talking the same way you are. My apologies for being unduly harsh,
but all this vaporware has made all of us rather skeptical, and indeed will
most assuredly limit the positive feedback you get about "who wants my
Newt3000." I doubt you would get more than 10 people on your "I want one"
list, especially since we don't know if our email addresses will end up on
SPAM mailing lists if we email you.

You need to understand the fundamental principle of: "if you built, the
Newton faithful will buy." But you should know this just by seeing how many
people are actively talking on this list about a platform that has been
officially dead for years!!! We love our Newtons!

Assuming you can get around any legal issues with Apple, I expect that you
would have a huge business opportunity if (a) the price is right and (b) the
product works as advertised and (c) you offer a warranty and (d) you have
the capacity to quickly ramp up your manufacturing capability when all the
orders come rolling in. I expect you could manage (a) thru (c), but I would
be more interested to see how you deal with (d) than anything else. For
even Apple Computer itself has problems in this area.

My advice is that you create a mock-up of your product idea and present that
to the people at http://newted.dyndns.org/. If it passes their litmus test,
they will likely take your product before the global Newton community and
give you the necessary startup PR to get the business rolling.

But I warn you... If your idea ends up being vaporware, there will be
gentlemen in Italian suits arriving at your door to "admonish" you.

Regards,

James Wages