Re: [NTLK] [OT] Multiple AirPort Express's and AirTunes

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 00:40:10 PDT

>> I read in MacWorld that you can't stream AirTunes to more than one
> etwork-ignorant me would say this might be limited to one channel to
> avoid bandwidth problems, although that would be a bit strange outside
> mixed networks running on 802.11b. One music stream should be "just"
> 1mbps. I

   True, 1mbps would max take about half a 80211b 2mbps (if I remember
right) bandwidth. Can packets be set to multicast to specific IP
address (one packet, but routed to two different addresses)?

   You'd think Apple would solve this in the AE firmware/Airtunes
software, if allowed by bandwidth - and anyway, one AE box should be
able to rebroadcast the packet to another AE box - possibly tough to
set up, but solves the bandwidth issue at the computer end, and only
doubles the bandwidth for any one AE box. Or, they could sell an
external $29.95 accessory that would plug into the USB port for power,
and do nothing but sniff AirTunes packets, and multicast them to
multiple AE addresses. Don't know if you'd need a "full" 802.11b/g
chipset to do this or not - nor how much those chipsets cost wholesale
(my inkling is about $20 or less..)

   I'm waiting until the AE Extreme base station has an AirTunes plug..
Which it might in a year or two.

   Does the Newton PCMCIA bus have enough bandwidth to process an
AirTunes stream? Now that the protocol's been reverse-engineered (I
think)..

Jim