[NTLK] Lowest profile WiFi card (and a BT question)...

From: Blake Patterson (blakespot_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 10 2004 - 08:50:27 PDT

It seems a number of WiFi cards are supported via
recent drivers on the Newton. Most of the pictures I
see of a Newton using a WiFi card show a big antenna
block hanging off the side of the Newton, such as this
one here:

http://www.newtenlightment.de/images/newtonserver150.jpg

The only WiFi card I've used is deep inside my iBook
700 which had an antenna built into the screen
enclosure so I've not felt the pain of a "WiFi
goiter." I see that some of the BlueTooth cards have
retractible antennas that take no space when not in
use. Are there WiFi cards that work with the Newton
that also have antennas that can be hidden?

Also - BlueTooth takes much less power than WiFi, it
seems. If I am in range of my G5 (with BlueTooth)
using a WiFi adapter, can I use TCP/IP on the Newton
to run, say, NetHopper through the G5's connection via
Bluetooth? Or is this something that I would need to
do with WiFi (tied to my AirPort basestation)? If it
would work, the range would be far less via BT than
WiFi, surely.

Thanks.

bp