Re: [NTLK] mac or not to mac, or how much PC really costs

From: LAG (lagoff11_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 11:08:39 PDT

I TAKE PRIDE in being the exception to the rule. but i also do everything i can to make sure my pc doesnt become a zombie for some script kiddie out there i dont do updates that often, maybe 3 times a yr. there are many ways to protect a pc and not all of them are well known to the public or seem easy for them to use. i can say that in the last year i have had to help friends and family to keep their pc's running clutter free. i cant say that its their fault except in a few cases. the internet has become a place that can install things onyour pc without your knowledge and unless it gets corrected correctly the probelm doesnt go away. to some this may be something they would rather not deal with but it isnt the end of the world either. in todays world patience is so short that it wouldnt matter what happens to a pc if it doesnt do exactly what sumone wants then it is a slow pc with bugs and problems. no one wants to read or figure out how to make sure that it stays safe.
   the
 script kiddies count on joe public to not do what they need to stay safe and as long as people wont take resposibility to help cure the problem then they will always have problems.

my 2 pennies on the floor,

LAG

Laurent Daudelin <Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com> wrote:

So, yes, when I was reading John's message, I exactly knew what he was
talking about and I would not discard his story as an "isolated" one. I
think that people regularly using PCs running Windows that don't have those
problems whether don't know that their machine is a zombie, or they are the
exception to the rule...