Re: [NTLK] Newton Newbie-MP2000-Mac OS X/9-help!

From: Roman Pixell (roman_at_pixell.net)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 08:49:39 PDT

On Oct 6, 2004, at 4:22 PM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> Remember one last thing: the 2000 isn't the Newton with the most memory
> around. If you plan more than reading your emails, you'll find
> yourself in
> trouble, specially if you attempt to surf the Internet. The available
> heap
> on the 2000 when all the Ethernet software is loaded is not sufficient
> have a pleasant experience. You might get away with Courier (a
> text-only
> web browser) but even with this one, I'm not sure how it would go on a
> 2000.
> The 2100 has about 3 times the memory available to the 2000.

i would second this an say that WIFI is an MP2100 thing mainly.
however, using a modem will work kind of OK for an MP2000. you can
write your own scripts in NIE, so you will not have to install
*anything* in order to get the newton online. have you got any type of
browser installed already? this is the key to download applications. if
no, youre bootstrapped again...

if you have a browser or an ftp client, the best would be to get an
option globetrotter GPRS card: http://www.pixell.net/GT , i think that
the red vodafone cards and the pink t-mobile cards are compatible with
the newton, but i havent tested this myself.

GPRS is quite ok for light browsing and email with filters. just make
sure to install mail4 rather than mail5 for email, since the fourth
version has size fiters!

/ ®