[NTLK] Newton Newbie-MP2000-Mac OS X/9-help!

From: meshbackthrash (meshbackthrasher_at_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 06:02:17 PDT

Hello-

i hope i'm writing this ok, and don't step on any
toes, im utterly amazed at how much my mailbox has
fille dup since i've been on this mailing list!

so much so, that I've found it all quite
bewildering...

Anyway-im wondering if the good folk on the list can
answer these questions for me, as i'm really new to
the Newton, heard that before yeh??

Ok I have a Newton MP 2000, with no connection cables
at all, and I own 3 macs, an G4 iBook running 10.3.5,
a G3 Powermac 5500 running 9.2.2 and a G3 Colour
Classic running the same.

The newton is running OS 2.1, i have no installer
disks. There are no PCMCIA flash/cards (at present).

How do I connect to either?

My first choice would be through ethernet, but would
it be cheaper to use a serial/localtalk cable? I have
heaps of these, but I note that the connection on the
Mp2000 would require some kind of adaptor, yes?

I presume I would need to buy a PCMCIA ethernet
card-does it have to be any particular type, and will
it work straight out of the box?

One of my main reasons for getting the newton was so
that i could use wireless broadband hot spots-(I live
on a boat, and have no landline access) the newtons
size is ideal for being discreet, whereas my iBook is
big, bulky and white! i understand that this is
possible, how would I go about doing this-ie, what
software do i need and what card would I require...?

I can use GPRS internet access from my mobile phone
(Nokia 6310i) but I've so far found it costly, slow as
hell and very flaky...is it possible to use the newton
with this type of phone, which connects via Bluetooth.

Ive also heard that its possible to turn a newton into
a kind of iPod. How is this made possible?

At this stage I'm unsure of what i can/cannot do with
my newton, so am wary of doing anything drastic (!). I
know I can get most of the parts I need from e-bay for
instance.

If you lovely people would be able to list everything
I need, or point me in the direction of places of
information i would be very grateful. Basically I am
asking here because I haven't been able to consolidate
all of the information that i do have! (I'm not
familiar with programming either...).

I also am unable to check e-mail regularly, so if
anyone could e-mail me direct (is this allowable??)
that would be of great help-as my access when i do
have it, is limited and costly-so time is of the
essence, and who knows...maybe i'll be able to check
in more often when I am online!!

Many thanks,

Nick L.