Re: [NTLK] Windows or Mac

From: Sonya Hipper (sonyalynn_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 17:14:33 PDT

Well, as long as Seb actually solicited opinions... ;-)

On Oct 5, 2004, at 4:37 PM, spayne_at_sebpayne.com wrote:
> Ah, but which one do you prefer?

Mac running latest OS X, hands-down, and ESPECIALLY if you're going
into DTP.

> I am really starting to plan out my computing infrastructure and I
> don't
> know which one, Mac or PC. Mac lacks some software of PCs and the
> majority
> of users around me are PC but Mac is better interface.

True, it is. Also, there have been absolutely zero virii found in the
wild for OS X, you tend to get a longer usable lifespan out of a Mac,
and you've got access to OS X, OS 9³ (via Classic), *nix (command line
and X-Windows), AND Windows (via the purchase of Virtual PC)
applications all on the same desktop. The ease of networking a Mac has
been commented on already.

And, with G5-equipped units starting @ $1299 (with 17" LCD built right
in, for that low-end iMac), and perfectly usable eMacs starting @ $799
retail (less if you go refurb/demo/open-box) it's really hard to go
wrong. Just don't buy your extra RAM (and you'll need it) from Apple. I
have suggestions for that, if you go this route. (But wait, there's
more! :-P )

> Anyone know of a good semi-professional DTP?

At this point, there really isn't a viable "semi-professional DTP"
package, as far as I can tell. You've pretty much got QuarkXPress 6 and
InDesign CS (best value as part of the Adobe Creative Suite, w/
Illustrator, Photoshop, and VersionCue...and, IMHO, the Premium version
is best yet, tossing in GoLive and full Acrobat Pro) and nothing else
even really comes close. In THIS holy war, put me firmly in the
InDesign camp.

And, oh, it's cheaper. SO much cheaper, since you would end up buying a
full Creative Suite to have Illustrator and Photoshop, anyway (it's
cheaper than the 2 separately, then added together), and then you
already have InDesign, so you don't NEED to spend the extra $800 or so
for Quark as well. Adobe's being very sneaky (some would say downright
Microsoftian) in this, but hey, I'm not complaining. ;-)

Most pre-press or print houses will take either of these native
formats, or a well-made PDF (and let me plug the PDF-X1a spec while I'm
here!)...but (QXP or ID) + Acrobat Pro are usually the best ways to
arrive at said PDFs, anyway, so you're back to square one.

Anyway, that's my $.02.

-Sonya (who was a Production Artist and Graphic Designer for 6 years,
Webmistress for 2, Support Technician the last 3 or so, and currently
the entire IT dept. and Mac Goddessª for a Mac-based creative services
firm...)

==
     "I urge you all today, especially today during these
times of chaos and war, to love yourself without reservations
and to love each other without restraint. Unless you're into
leather. And then, by all means, use restraints."
                                                 ÑMargaret Cho

Sonya Hipper
sonyalynn_at_earthlink.net
AIM: SonyaLynn