Re: [NTLK] ATA Card speed...

From: James Wages (james_at_kiramek.com)
Date: Mon Oct 04 2004 - 21:33:12 PDT

I also bought Paul's ATA Support -- great software. I tested a 1GB IBM
MicroDrive and a 32MB Compact Flash card (that came with my Powershot G5
camera). The MicroDrive is so much faster than the flash for both read and
write; but sadly, the MicroDrive spins up and down constantly. Paul says
this is likely something inherent to the MicroDrive more than his software.
So I have stuck with my 32MB CF, which is a bit slower overall than my
linear cards. Performance issues may be improved a bit in a future version
of ATA Support, according to Paul. But it is usable right now.

I have been curious about other "flash" cards though in terms of
performance. For example, I wonder how well cards with "write acceleration"
fare. For those of you new to write acceleration, here is some info:

<http://www.dpreview.com/news/0209/02092412lexar_wa.asp>

Also, this new SanDisk product appears to incorporate the same technology:
<http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04092806sandisk_extremeIII.asp>

I asked Paul about this because write acceleration would appear to require
"driver level" support. I did not receive a definitive answer, probably
because Paul doesn't have one of these accelerated CF cards either. If
anyone does, I would be curious as to the speed findings.

--James W.