[NTLK] NEWS: Sarofax/Sineware packages now open-source

From: Ash Mishra (ash.mishra_at_sarofax.com)
Date: Mon Oct 04 2004 - 04:57:40 PDT

From Ash Mishra, Sarofax
Oct 3, 2004, 1700 hrs GMT, London, UK

Dear Newton fans,

As some of you may remember, I wrote a number of software applications
(BluePrint, ShowMate, PowerSet and others) back in the late '90s for Sine of
the Times.

That software was acquired by my company Sarofax, and has been until now,
been sold as charityware ($25 USD donations).

Since 2001, you and many others have contributed to charitable donations for
various causes such as UNICEF, The Red Cross & Red Crescent, WWF, World
Vision, and dozens of other international and domestic charities.

You have raised over $3200 US; much more than I had hoped; and I want to
thank you so much for your goodwill. I hope that you will continue to
support these charities and others.

The time has come now for me to announce the end of the Charityware program.
It's been 6 1/2 years since the Newton was terminated by Apple; and though
I'm very surprised to keep reading about you in Wired, or even this past
Worldwide Newton Conference, I can't ignore reality.

So as a last gift to the community and the PDA which gave me so much joy
(and tears!), I'm releasing all the source code for our Newton applications
under the GPL license. This is my best hope that someone among you will be
able to keep these applications alive.

I've never had the chance before in a public forum to thank Rachel Jacobsen,
Mike Jacobsen, Robert Lee, (and Lars Immisch for ShowMate) all formerly my
colleagues in Sine of the Times, for the many cherished memories in those
late days in the '90s when we were all inspired by a little gem called the
Newton.

My thanks to you all.

Ash

The link to the packages and source-code:
http://www.sarofax.com/sarofaxcode.tar.gz

Descriptions of the applications:
http://www.sineware.com/ --> choose Products

Ash Mishra | ash.mishra_at_sarofax.com | London, UK
Your dreams are as real as your belief in them