Re: [NTLK] einstein -> antelope -> oqo? RANT ALERT!

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Mon Oct 04 2004 - 04:19:41 PDT

>From: Robert Benschop <rbenschop_at_telebyte.nl>
>Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 21:03:02 +0200

>On 3-okt-04, at 20:27, Jim Witte wrote:
>> I think the OQO would be nice - overkill is never a bad think IMO

>Since I called budding love for a OQO brain damage maybe I should
>explain why I think so.
>The Newton tends to be better than the users realize, the recent thread
>about the Palm seems to prove my point.
>It's not just the HWR, it's also the OS, the tight integration, the
>'soup system' that allows this integration etc.
>And on top of that the hardware, which still outperforms all PDA's that
>are made today in the most important of all: battery life.

*nodding in agreement*

A powerful device is a fine thing. But, honestly, do you really need all the power you can get - on the go? I think if that was the case you would be in the notebook market anyway. If something of the OQO's size was equipped with a slim processor & smart powersaving, it could be an "always on" device, like a smartphone, and still serve all day. All you would need in addition would be a functional "remote" like this http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,62750,00.html so the main unit can stay in your bag most of the time when used as a phone. If you loose the harddrive and take, say 4GB of FLASH instead power needs are again reduced. As again, honestly, 4GB is an enormous storage for typical mobile tasks such as handling notes, sketches, contacs and eMail.

Oliver

--
Twenty years ago we worried about a nuclear strike by the Russians, now we worry about a nuclear strike by a General Protection Fault or a Blue Screen of Death. We've come a long way, baby. / AsTheAppleTurns on http://makeashorterlink.com/?G28812E39 / Honey, do we still have the keys to the fallout shelter?