[NTLK] Newton Newbie (long)

From: Don V. Zahniser (irntooth_at_eznet.net)
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 18:24:18 PDT

Hi, All -

I acquired a MP130 a couple of weeks ago, and have been getting
acquainted. I did quite a bit of investigating before I got my Newt, but
I have a few issues:

I have been trying to use NCU to synchronize Palm Desktop 2.6.3 on a
Powerbook 1400 running Mac OS 9.0.4. Most everything seems to work, except:

1) Email addresses don't move from the Palm Desktop to the Newt. I have
found the settings for fine-tuning the fields between Names and Claris
Organizer 2.0, but there is no email field in the latter. Any
suggestions on how to map the fields so that email addresses will synchronize?

2) The Palm and the Palm Desktop allow one to 'attach' a note to a
calendar entry. When I synchronize the Newt with Palm Desktop, the notes
come across, but (unless I am missing something), they are 'orphaned'
with respect to their respective calendar entries. Not especially
useful. Is this a fact of life, or is there a solution?

Other topics:

3) I am trying ATA Support in demo mode with a 10Mb Kodak Compactflash
card. I have no trouble storing apps on the card and running them.
However, every once in awhile, when I choose to save something to the
card, I get an error. Example: In QFigure Lite, when I click on the
routing button and select 'Move to card', I get a message "Sorry, a
problem has occurred (-48200)". No errors when saving Notes to the card.
 Any thoughts?

4) I installed "Freeze Utilities", but the only option that I see is
'Thaw'. Is there another freeware package that serves the same purpose,
or should I not worry about it?

5) I haven't tried using Pocket Quicken yet, but may do so. In the
meantime, is there any way to get rid of the 'PQ' button from the status bar?

A couple of thoughts on recent topics:

On the 'Switching to calculator' while in Notepad: At the moment I have
TapBar and Tasks installed. That gives the fast launch of a second
application, along with a fast switch between.

I have had Palm and Handspring PDAs for several years. My most recent is
an m130 - which is currently held together with electrical tape (I don't
recommend dropping these, even once!). Even with Jot! installed (Palm
licensed the technology for Graffiti 2), I have _never_ been able to
manage note taking on a Palm OS device with any kind of productivity.
After such a short time with the MP130, I am reasonably facile at doing
so, to the point where it is actually _useful_...

I haven't yet found anything for the Newton which compares to Big Clock
on the Palm. Multiple alarms, Timers, etc (although a brief look at
Roosta compares favorably for the 'only weekdays' feature of Big Clock).
 I am currently using Alarm Clock. Any other recommendations?

Well, that's about all for now. Thanks for your patience and replies.

 - Don

--
Don V. Zahniser
<irntooth_at_eznet.net>