[NTLK] SER001 installation

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 16:48:51 PST

> One thing I noticed though with the installation and also viewing the
> install of the board into a MP2x00 was that the board's installation
> point/mounting location which is at the top of the stylus silo (there
> are two, the second diagonally opposite) with this board seemed to
> cause a slight bump to the case when it was reassembled. Not sure if
> there were anything else that was suppose to be done as I just got the
> board and the screws - this unit did not have the rubber ring I see on
> the website. My thoughts are that the board might have been the cause
> of the bump but I'm not really in a position to make the assertion as
> this was just an opinion from my visual inspection.

Normally in this case the board IS the cause of the bump. You will
notice that there is some material filed off the connector of the SER001.
If it wasn't, you'd have a veeeery huge bump. There are cases where this
isn't enough. I ALWAYS file about 1 mm off the top part of the case
where it'll touch the connector when I install these boards.
If you are cautious, you can do this without taking the Newton apart
any further than what is required for the SER001 installation.

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de