Re: [NTLK] how do I install the SER-001 Board?...

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 18:43:54 PST

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:55:05 -0600, Jeff Henry <j3ff_at_comcast.net> wrote:
> > I got a broken unit which I installed but unfortunately I was unable
> > to repair it properly...
>
> He does offer a replacement if you have not tried to fix it yourself. I
> would say that if you tried to fix the actual board yourself you are out of
> luck. I know I have heard him saying that he would replace a defective board.....

Jeff,

Let me clarify something so that this is Understood with no misrepresentation.
The SER-001 board I received first off was broken, and second was a
defective board that another list member purchased (not me) - David
corrected the issue for that list member's purchase by replacing the
SER-001 with a new replacement.

This board was passed onto me at no charge and I thought I'd try to do
the repair. It was the connector pins (bank) that detached from the
board. This was likely an early version as I compared the layout on
the website versus the board I have.

I actually almost got it to work, but because (like David mentioned
often) I tried to do the repair without the porper tools it did not
end with good results.

So it would not be appropriate for me to ask David to replace this as
I need to purchase one from him or a legal reseller before those
benefits would apply.

One thing I noticed though with the installation and also viewing the
install of the board into a MP2x00 was that the board's installation
point/mounting location which is at the top of the stylus silo (there
are two, the second diagonally opposite) with this board seemed to
cause a slight bump to the case when it was reassembled. Not sure if
there were anything else that was suppose to be done as I just got the
board and the screws - this unit did not have the rubber ring I see on
the website. My thoughts are that the board might have been the cause
of the bump but I'm not really in a position to make the assertion as
this was just an opinion from my visual inspection.

Overall it's a nice clean install, and other than that observation -
I'm still waiting for the right time to purchase one myself.

Hope everyone had a good time celebrating ThanksGiving... I know I
did, I was able to share with a list member my over abundance of
Newtons...

PS to anyone waiting on me for anything - please shoot me a reminder
email if you dont hear from me by 12/10, I've been trying to catch up
with my to do list and a friendly reminder is suggested as I prepare
things to go out!

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung